Favorite Quotes

  • ***********************************************
  • "I'm so busy.... I don't know if I found a rope... or lost my donkey! - Unknown"
  • ***************************************************

Friday, September 16, 2011

9/11/2001 to a generation who wasn't born yet....




My youngest daughters born in 2002 and 2003 were born after 9/11. Now in 3rd and 4th grade, this is the ten year anniversary, and they are old enough to somewhat understand. Both of them learned about 9/11 in school today.

They both came home talking about it. It was hard for them to understand that this happened before they were born. And they wanted to know what year I was born in....and was I born before or after 9/11....and what was I doing when I found out it had happened. That they recently killed Osama Bin Laden. We had a good discussion. Madi said she cried along with a bunch of the girls in their class as they watched movies about it. The magnitude of the loss is almost beyond their comprehension.

So maybe 30 minutes later I was reading a book in bed, and Carlie comes in and her big old green eyes are shimmering with tears. And she said "I watched five videos about 9/11 in a row and I didn't even cry once!!" in a choked up voice.

And I said "But you wanted to" and she busted out bawling and said "It's so sad." and threw herself into my arms. I held her awhile then told her to go find something cheerful to watch.

So she came back in a few minutes later and said "Mom, now I'm listening to Irvin Berlin!!!" I said "WHO??" She said you know Irvin Berlin....he's singing God Bless America. He's older than you...probably Memaw's age." Only my 8 year old would know who Irvin Berlin is. She said "I just thought of him and looked him up on YouTube."

No comments:

Subscribe to the Pooligans Blog

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz