Favorite Quotes

  • ***********************************************
  • "I'm so busy.... I don't know if I found a rope... or lost my donkey! - Unknown"
  • ***************************************************

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bucket Lists

How would you describe me: White, Female, Upper Middle Class, an IT Manager, a Mom of Four plus, a Christian, a Daughter of two solid parents who are still married, a Football Coach’s Wife of ten years, a Sister, an owner of a Master’s Degree in Mathematics. I have a solid 401(K), building a new house, have nice vehicles, I have 3 months of living expensive in savings, I’m healthy. I’ve been a Step Mom, a Foster Mom, an Adoptive Mom, a Biological Mom, and a Substitute Mom. I just turned 40. Pretty good, huh?




I don’t have a bucket list.

If I died right now, the only regret I would have would be time missed with family and friends. But mostly watching my beautiful children grow up.

I have traveled to most major cities in the US. I’ve also been to Jamaica, Canada and China. I’ve flown in a commercial plane, a Cessna and a float plane. I’ve been on a cruise. I have walked on a glacier. I watched someone be born, and I’ve watched someone die. I’ve been pregnant and given birth. I’ve stood in court and made three special children mine. I’ve lived at ten different addresses as an adult. I’ve spent long periods of time in: Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Indiana, Nebraska, Missouri. I’ve been diagnosed with Epilepsy. I’ve been taken by ambulance to an ER. I’ve totaled a car. I’ve bought brand new cars. I’ve been laid off. I’ve been a high school teacher, and a Manager of 22 people. I’ve built software systems that people still use 10 years later. I’ve played flute and piccolo on many a stage. I stood up and played the piccolo solo in Stars and Stripes Forever in a crowded auditorium. I’ve become an amateur photographer. I’ve held and comforted my sick child in the ER. I’ve dipped my toe in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and the Gulf of Mexico. I’ve been to Disney World – twice. I helped start a church. I’ve been Baptized. I’ve been fishing – and caught fish. I have drank water from a pure stream in the Flint Hills. The longest I’ve ever worked at one company was 5 years. I currently own 4 inch heels, sandals, running shoes, steel toed boots and cowboy boots. I have ridden horseback. I have helped put out a prairie fire. I’ve had numerous dogs, cats, fish, goats and a donkey as pets. I have driven a go-cart. I’ve been married - twice. I’ve been divorced. I’ve stood up to a bully at work- twice. I’ve seen Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserable.  I've been in a tornado,a flood and experienced an earthquake.  I’ve been to the ballet, the opera and a symphony. I’ve had stitches. I keep a blog about my family. I’ve taken in two 17 year old boys who needed a place to stay. I’ve been blessed with a loving, faithful, loyal husband and four beautiful children. I’ve been snorkeling. I’ve fired a gun – and I THINK I killed a crow with it.  I flunked suba diving class.  I have suffered infertility. I heard Pavarotti sing in person and shook his hand. I have touched a wild buffalo and watched a wild bald eagle in flight. I watched more ballgames (of various varieties) that I care to count. I have lain in the bed of a pickup truck and watched the stars. I’ve seen an eclipse. I have been canoeing and rafting. I spent the night in a hammock on a beach in Jamaica. I lived through the Challenger Explosion, The Oklahoma City Bombing and 9/11. I’ve been to the top of the Rocky Mountains – but I have no desire to go skiing. I’ve put two loved ones in mental institutions. I went to court and watched another one be sentenced while he was wearing an orange jump suite and leg shackles. I’ve been to the World Expo in Shanghai and I’ve walked to the top of the Great Wall of China with my Dad. I’ve cried on my Mom’s shoulder too many times to count. I’ve been kissed by tiny sticky mouths and hugged with tiny sticky fingers. I’ve been pooped on. I’ve been a witness in a jury trial. I’ve been to the top of the Sears Tower and stood on the clear ledge and looked down. I’ve never been drunk or high. I’ve been in a TV commercial. I’m friends with a convicted felon – actually more than one. I have gained and lost 110 lbs. I put a hard drive in my computer. I have hired people and I have fired people. I have run a 5k race without stopping. I won a hair and make-up make over. I’ve cried while I held a dear pet while he was put to sleep. I’ve miscarried a dearly wanted baby. I have brush-hogged with a tractor. I made straight As in High School. I’ve called the Suicide hotline for a co-worker who was threatening to kill himself. I was Salutatorian of my Senior class. I started college when I was 17, got my college degree in 3 years and graduated in the top 10% of my class. By the time I was 22, I had a Master’s Degree. I’ve gotten a speeding ticket I deserved. I went to court over a speeding ticket I DIDN'T deserve and won my case! I have cut down a tree with a chain saw. I have let ducklings swim in my garden sized whirlpool tub. I’ve potty trained who knows how many kids! I have included into my wonderful core family: wonderful in-laws, multiple birth families, foster kids, step kids.

I have loved, and lost, and let go….and I understand the difference. I am confident in who I am. I’ve been loved….deeply loved.

I don’t have a bucket list. I don’t quit, ever. Can’t Don’t Live Here.

No comments:

Subscribe to the Pooligans Blog

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz